Penguicon is a three-day event where we all learn from each other (as well as from our Guests of Honor) about hacking, building sci-fi universes, soldering, painting miniatures, gaming, coding, music, incredible costumes, and more. Our two pillars are Science Fiction and Open Source, but we cover as many diverse nerdy interests as possible. We have a ConSuite with free soda, coffee, munchies, and other real food, which makes it easier on your budget. You can find all kinds of original artwork and non-commodity crafts in our hand-picked Maker Market. Over 500 nerds, geeks, and fans attend Penguicon every year to celebrate and share in what we all love.
- Open Source Interview Series: NextcloudHere at Penguicon, we like to stay connected with our friends in the Open Source community. To that end, we’ve asked the creators of Nextcloud to answer a few questions. Penguicon: Can you give us a little background on how Nextcloud got its start? Nextcloud: The project was started by Frank Karlitschek already in 2010, coming from the KDE community. KDE develops Linux desktop software, and a need arose for a way to keep control over data of users in the age of Dropbox and Google Drive. After all, if your data is ‘in the cloud’, your ‘desktop freedom’ doesn’t… Read more: Open Source Interview Series: Nextcloud
- Penguicon Infrastructure ChangesHello everyone, As of December 21st, 2023, Penguicon has migrated all of its websites, domain registrations, and DNS zones off of DreamHost (which was costing us around $150 a year)! Thanks to a generous donation by Liberty Center One, a data center in Royal Oak, we now have a permanent home for all our web assets, including every Penguicon website since 2003. Additionally, we centralized our domain registrations and DNS zones to CloudFlare, which, on top of providing those services, also gives us a fantastic WAF (Web Application Firewall) to protect our websites better. You should hopefully see significant speed… Read more: Penguicon Infrastructure Changes
- Penguicon.info is Now DecommissionedHello everyone, Penguicon.info once served as a planning and documentation wiki for all things Penguicon. Over the years, it’s been used less and less and hasn’t received a significant content update since 2019. That being said, we’ve archived the site, making it readable to anyone who’d like to look. It currently resides here: https://infoarchive.penguicon.org/doku.php/start – Additionally, DokuWiki has been patched to the latest version to resolve security issues. I’ve also added a section to the website under “About” to document old assets that have been archived. You can reach it here. Thanks, James Gamble
- Penguicon Presentations Are Back!Hello everyone, Penguicon offered presenters a discount for several years by allowing us to publish their presentations on presentations.penguicon.org. However, that site broke at some point in the last year or two. While the content was still available on the web server, the software that presented the presentations to users was beyond busted. I’m happy to announce that I’ve recovered the presentations previously hosted on that site and have rehosted them here: https://presentations.penguicon.org/ If you have been a presenter in years past and still have your presentations and would like them shared, please send them to me at [email protected]. Include… Read more: Penguicon Presentations Are Back!
- Social Media ChangesHello everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that as of noon ET today, December 4th, 2023, Penguicon no longer has an account on Twitter/X. You may view an archive of our account here: https://xarchive.penguicon.org/#/ We will maintain a presence on Mastodon (https://penguicon.social/@penguicon), BlueSky (https://bsky.app/profile/penguicon.bsky.social), and Spoutible (https://spoutible.com/penguicon). While this may be seen as an overabundance of official places to get Penguicon information, note that we are trying to reach folks where they are instead of getting them to come to us. Spoutible has begun allowing native crossposting to BlueSky with the addition of Mastodon in the coming… Read more: Social Media Changes
- Penguicon 2024 – Important InformationWhen: Friday, April 26th, 2024 to Sunday, April 28th, 2024 Where: Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest Hotel More information: https://2024.penguicon.org